Request for Form DS-2019 (Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status)
This request should be completed by the visiting scholar in close collaboration with the St. John’s University department sponsoring an international professor, research scholar, or specialist on a J-1 visa.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPONSORING DEPARTMENT
- The St.John's University department sponsoring the visiting scholar, must e-mail the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) to start the process. Please include the following information about the visiting scholar:
- Date of Birth
- ISSSO will update the visiting scholar's information and an automated e-mail with login and password information will be sent to the e-mail provided.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR VISITING SCHOLAR
- Please submit your request at least one month prior to the proposed appointment date (including extensions).
- Allow one to two weeks from your date of submission for processing.
- If you have difficulty completing the section regarding English language proficiency, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) for assistance.
- Note that the stay of a J-1 exchange visitor coming to the United States as a Professor or Research Scholar is limited to five years, including previous continuous time spent at another institution under J-1 status. Also, please be aware that a J applicant may be affected by either the 12-month or 24-month bar or 212e.
- Applications for J-1 status appointed to a tenure or tenure-track position will not be accepted.
- A J-1 is permitted to enter the United States up to 30 days before the start date indicated on the DS-2019.